‘Scott Pilgrim Takes Off’: A Divisive Triumph

And we thought “The Last of Us Part 2” discourse was bad …

11.24.23
‘Scott Pilgrim Takes Off’: A Divisive Triumph ((L to R) Kieran Culkin as Wallace Wells and Brandon Routh as Todd Ingram in Scott Pilgrim Takes Off. | Courtesy of Netflix © 2023)

We begin our story in Toronto, Canada, not too long ago, where a 23-year-old is dating a high schooler. The further we get into this sentence would spoil the rest. “Scott Pilgrim Takes Off,” is an adaptation of Bryan Lee O’Malley’s acclaimed graphic novel “Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World,” which later became the live-action film, “Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World” (2010), directed by Edgar Wright. 

The film flopped at the box office but gained a massive cult following in later years with it being rereleased in movie theaters for its 10th anniversary back in 2021 (It was supposed to happen in 2020, but I think you know the reason for the pushback). People love the Scott Pilgrim series due to the references and visual styles that combine Eastern and Western cartoons in a pastiche that gives them both the reverence they deserve.While one of us is a massive Scott Pilgrim fan who has read all the books and seen the film many times, the other has just seen the movie.

Now, in 2023, Netflix made this show that is a reimagining, keep that word in mind REIMAGINING, of the source material. Bryan O’Malley and BenDavid Grabinski made it clear that this is a whole new version of the Scott Pilgrim series that no one has seen before. IT is not the one we wanted, but the one we needed. We have minor characters fleshed out in the most major ways possible and we get more agency with a certain character that was previously criticized as just being a trophy. Our one criticism is that while the show can stand on its own, it actually helps to see the previous works to gain more appreciation for the show. IF we are using video game analogies, the show is the expansion pack/DLC, while the full game is either the comics or the film. 

Overall, the show is a work of art with anime studio Science Saru, animators of Devilman Crybaby,  basically making every frame a painting and having some of the most hype anime fight scenes this side of “Demon Slayer.” While this show may cause discourse for many people who were looking for a straight adaptation, those who come in with an open mind will be happy and excited to see what they see. 

8 extra lives out of 10. 

Guillermo Guzman (he/him/they) is a Texas-based nerd who loves talking about video games, autism, and entertainment. Follow him on Instagram: @boofy_booferson and X: @Dimpy_Tenders.

Zipporah Pruitt, (she/her) is an L.A. homegrown journalist, who covers entertainment and culture. Follow her on X and Instagram: @zippzapps.