Spring Break Tips for the Broke College Student

02.19.24
Spring Break Tips for the Broke College Student (Getty Images)

AtlantaDepending on where you are, here are some affordable destinations I’d recommend for an iconic spring break experience.

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

As spring warms up, its miles of stunning coastline provides endless opportunities to sunbathe, build sandcastles and beach volleyball.

Budgeting Tips

Keep an eye out for budget-friendly hotels and Airbnb’s. Also, cooking your own meals and taking advantage of free or low-cost excursions like exploring the boardwalk or visiting the state park are also good ways to track your spending.

New Orleans, Louisiana

New Orleans is full of culture and nothing but good food and vibes. From beignets to the celebration of Mardi Gras, Nola truly is an experience that offers a vibrant nightlife with excellent music and unique architecture. 

Budgeting Tips

Explore the French Quarter and Bourbon Street, visit Jackson Square and just bask in the city’s culture. There are also free audio tours that you can take advantage of at the New Orleans Jazz Historical Park. 

Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Tennessee

For under $150 a night, you can find yourself exploring America’s most popular national park. Spring break is all about taking advantage of the warmth – which by extension is being encapsulated in the beauty of nature. 

Budgeting Tips

Consider camping within the park for a more affordable and immersive experience. Packing your own meals and exploring scenic drives like the Cades Cove Loop Road are good ways to make the most out of your Tennessee trip.