Content in partnership with Washington Square News

Insider Tips For The Best Spring Break Trips

Before you plan your next getaway, take some unexpected travel advice from YouTuber and author Damon Dominique, television host Samantha Brown and blogger Alysse Dalessandro.

02.17.23
Insider Tips For The Best Spring Break Trips (Getty Images)

New York City, NYby Roshni Raj

This story was originally published on New York University’s Washington Square News.

As a travel enthusiast who longs for the memories I made when studying away, I love going to travel shows in the United States to connect with people from countries that I’ve never been to. Last weekend, I went to the New York Travel and Adventure Show to learn from the experts and bring you the best trends and tips for 2023.

Plan and pack for the unexpected

Travel habits have changed since the pandemic, and we no longer take travel for granted. Samantha Brown, Emmy award-winning television travel host, says that’s the reason for recent pent-up travel demand. To lessen the chaos of travel uncertainty, she says we should plan for the things we can’t control.

When in doubt, travel in a group

Marginalized groups can face particular safety challenges when they travel. To facilitate safe travel, Alysse Dalessandro — who runs the blog Ready to Stare —will host three group trips specifically for plus-size and LGBTQ+ travelers this year.

Be culturally curious and learn locally

Rather than choosing polished travel documentaries that focus on touristy spots, I love watching travel videos where locals are invited to the conversation to share their stories. Travel YouTuber Damon Dominique, one of my personal favorites, creates quirky, eccentric videos true to these experiences.

Look to off-seasons and smaller destinations

It’s no secret that you can save money by traveling off-season — it’s all about the willingness to do it.

Read the rest of the story at Washington Square News.