Stacey Abrams, Selena Gomez Collab On Doc About Powerful Women

“Won’t Be Silent” will spotlight and celebrate female artists, singers and songwriters who have made a positive impact on the world by bringing a variety of issues to the forefront of their audiences' attention.

12.16.22
Stacey Abrams, Selena Gomez Collab On Doc About Powerful Women (Selena Gomez: Emma McIntyre/FilmMagic via Getty Images; Stacey Abrams: Paras Griffin via Getty Images)

Hollywood rising icon Selena Gomez and political powerhouse Stacey Abrams are teaming up to produce “Won’t Be Silent,” a Discovery documentary shining a light on female voices in music and film who have paved the way for societal change. 

The film, which began production this week, is also backed by director Kristi Jacobson and producers Angus Wall and Kent Kubena attached, along with Gomez’s and Abrams’ own production companies. 

According to those involved, the doc will spotlight and celebrate female artists, singers and songwriters who have made a positive impact on the world by bringing a variety of issues to the forefront of their audiences’ attention.

It will serve as “a love letter to the women in music who have used their voices to change the course of history with their art and activism,” according to the doc’s official logline.

As a singer-actress, Gomez’s perspective on women in music is of great value. The recent Golden Globe nominee said it goes beyond talent for the women the film plans to highlight.

“The powerful women we will be highlighting are not only talented but have been on the frontline of pushing culture forward and holding a mirror up to political and social injustices,” she said in a statement. 

Abrams spoke out about the power of women bridging history, art and activism together. 

“Throughout history, women in music have used their art as activism by bringing attention to issues impacting our nation and world,” Abrams said in a statement ““Won’t Be Silent” is a celebration of the artists who have contributed to bettering the world through their timeless music.”

A release date has not been announced.