Tasteful to Trouble? Twitch.tv and ‘Artistic Nudity’

12.19.23
Tasteful to Trouble? Twitch.tv and ‘Artistic Nudity’ (Getty Images)

Twitch.tv has to be one of the most controversial websites that has sprouted in popularity. The page, which allows people to watch live streams of people doing many things, has evolved over the years. From being a simple gaming stream website to now being an all-encompassing juggernaut of media. One subsection of the website though, has caused a healthy amount of controversy, which recently boiled over. 

Ever since gaming streams became popular, people of all genders have been chomping at the bit to be the next big streamer. Many of them have different attributes to help them be set apart from their peers be it skills, humor, gimmicks, or looks. This last point is the one that caused the most concern in the gaming community as many attractive women such as the enigmatic Amouranth, this streamer is one who not only is popular due to her streams but also her OnlyFans (no, we are not linking it. Find it yourself,) which she has said makes her around one million dollars a month

To pursue this gravy train many streamers such as Morgpie have pushed the boundaries of what is allowed on Twitch by streaming video games topless, but only showing her cleavage up to her face. The ensuing backlash was biblical with many fellow streamers puritanically attacking the website for double standards and preferring female streamers over male streamers. 

On Dec. 13, 2023, Twitch dropped a bombshell of a change on the website, allowing streamers to show “artistic nudity” in their streams. Many took this as a sign that they could now do many things deemed “not safe for work” on Twitch. People began to make art streams showing artistic nudity, but then on December 15, 2023, Twitch stopped the policy of cold turkey. The reason is people were drawing offensive and even creating pornographic deep fake content of popular streamers. This appalling display of consent and courtesy killed the policy. 

At the time of writing, no nudity at all is allowed on Twitch, but who knows what the future may hold. 

Guillermo Guzman (he/him/they) is a Texas-based nerd who loves talking about video games, autism, and entertainment. Follow him on Instagram: @boofy_booferson and X: @Dimpy_Tenders.

Zipporah Pruitt, (she/her) is an L.A. homegrown journalist, who covers entertainment and culture. Follow her on X and Instagram: @zippzapps.