Universal Music Group Launches HBCU Internship Program

12.06.20
Universal Music Group Launches HBCU Internship Program (Photo: LagosTechie/Unsplash)

DeKalb, ILMusic giant Universal Music Group is investing in the careers of students at Historically Black Colleges and Universities with its new paid summer internship program. 

The Universal Music Group HBCU Internship Program will provide hands-on experience to students pursuing careers in the music entertainment industry. The internship is in partnership with the Thurgood Marshall College Fund, which represents publicly funded HBCUs across the country. 

The program is open to all majors and will host around 50 students in summer 2021 in its Los Angeles or New York City offices. The program also provides financial support for the interns’ travel and housing expenses.

Internships will be in several departments including marketing, publicity, advertising, promotions, artist and repertoire, production, creative, film & TV and business. 

To qualify, students must attend an HBCU and be a sophomore, junior, senior, masters level or law student graduating in Winter 2021 or after. 

“This internship program highlights both the remarkable talent within HBCUs and the commitment of our company, labels and brands to keep creating new pathways for identifying the next generation of industry leaders,” said Ethiopia Habtemariam and Jeff Harleston, co-chairs the Task Force. 

The deadline to apply is Dec. 31.