Viva Puebla y México: A History of Mexico’s Biggest Days

Cinco de Mayo is celebrated on May 5, which commemorates the Mexican victory against the French army in the Battle of Puebla.

05.05.23
Viva Puebla y México: A History of Mexico’s Biggest Days (Chantel via Unsplash)

San Juan; TexasAs the ubiquitous Cinco de Mayo holiday rolls around in America, there are many people who are confused about why we celebrate this special day. Due to not many knowing the difference between the Mexican Independence Day and Cinco de Mayo. 

Here’s how these days are different and celebrated so you can be invited to the Carne Asada with a takeaway plate. 

Cinco de Mayo is celebrated on May 5, which commemorates the Mexican victory against the French army in the Battle of Puebla. Now, you may be asking yourself, what are the French doing in Mexico of all places? It turns out that back in 1861, the president of Mexico at the time, Benito Juárez, suspended debt payments to all of the other countries that they owed. Napoleon took this as an offense and sent the French army to invade. With the might of the French army breathing down their necks, the Mexicans managed to eke out a victory at Puebla in 1862, regaining morale against their oppressors. Sadly, due to the massive might of France, Mexico was taken over and ruled by a man known as Maximilian I. 

Thankfully, years later in 1867 the Mexican people were able to expel the French and regain the country as their own, preventing it from becoming, as I like to call it, hot Canada. 

How do we celebrate this day? By pounding down Modelos and Tecates like there is no tomorrow. Yes, it is a drunk fest and the Mexican equivalent of Saint Patrick’s day, but let us not forget the history of how these scrappy people managed to hold back a massive power. 

Mexican Independence Day is a beast of its own. On Sept. 16, 1810, a catholic priest known as Father Hidalgo gave a rousing speech and ringing a massive bell, declaring the country’s independence from the Spanish power. This began an 11-year war which ended with Spain leaving the country and setting Mexico free. This speech he gave was known as “el grito de México,” a speech which is said by the presidents of Mexico every year on that day, live on television. 

How do we celebrate this day of September 16? By pounding down Modelos and Tecates like there is no tomorrow. 

VIVA MEXICO!