VMA: Normani Understood the Assignment

09.13.21
VMA: Normani Understood the Assignment (Photo: Angela Weiss/AFP via Getty Images)

ChicagoNormani paid homage to three icons during performances at MTV’s “Video Music Awards” on Sunday. 

Channeling pop and R&B legend Janet Jackson, the late songstress Aaliyah and hip hop trio TLC, Normani took fans on a ride as she recreated Jackson’s signature lap dance as she performed “Would You Mind” and sampled Aaliyah during “Wild Side.” 

US singer Normani (R) performs on stage during the 2021 MTV Video Music Awards at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York, September 12, 2021. | Photo: Angela Weiss/AFP via Getty Images

The 25-year-old’s outfit was reminiscent of TLC’s from the “No Scrubs” video as she shared the stage with Teyana Taylor.

Normani, formerly of Fifth Harmony, is preparing for the release of her debut solo album. A date has not been determined.