5 Tips to Practice Social Distancing

03.18.20
5 Tips to Practice Social Distancing (Photo: ArtistGNDphotography/Getty Images)

Atlanta, GAWhether you’re working from home or taking online college courses because your campus is closed, by now, we’re all taking precautions to try to avoid COVID-19.

And just as we were getting used to regularly washing our hands for at least 20 seconds and covering our coughs and sneezes with a tissue, here comes a brand new normal — social distancing. Of course, we all want to prevent the virus from spreading, but let's admit practicing social distancing isn't easy. If you're confused about what social distancing is, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention defines it as “remaining out of congregate settings, avoiding mass gatherings, and maintaining distance (approximately six feet or two meters) from others when possible.”

In other words, #stayhome. 

So if you’re on lockdown like the millions of people in California, self-quarantining or just feeling restless and bored, we have some tips to help you maintain social distancing. 

Stay active

Your workout routine doesn’t have to suffer during this time. YouTube has an array of free exercise videos that you can check out, such as Blogilates and Yoga With Adrienne. Planet Fitness is also offering free online workout video access through Facebook Live daily at 7 p.m EST. Nike Training Club and FitOn offer hundreds of free workouts that you can access through an app on your phone.

Practice self-care

During this chaotic time, it is important for you to check in with yourself and to practice self-care. The Headspace app is offering free access to a collection of meditations, sleep and movement exercises to help people cope during the outbreak. Free meditations, ask-the-expert forums and tools addressing coronavirus anxiety are available through self-care app Shine’s partnership with Mental Health America. Talkspace, an online and mobile therapy company, has also created a free therapist-led Facebook support group addressing coronavirus concerns.

Remain connected

Stay in touch with friends and family outside of your home by video chatting them through free sites, such as Google Hangouts, Skype and Facebook Messenger. Since internet providers, such as Comcast Xfinity and AT&T, are offering unlimited access to Wi-Fi hotspots, it will be easier to get the high-speed connection needed for video calls.

Explore the arts

Listening to music or looking at art pieces can be an uplifting escape while social distancing. Depending on the mood you’re in, check out our list of 10 tracks to add to your playlist. Scroll through Instagram and check out precious artwork up close by visiting accounts, such as The Museum of Modern Art, The Metropolitan Museum of Art or try the hashtag #museumfromhome. And Netflix is giving you a new way to quarantine and chill, with the Netflix Party where you can virtually watch movies with friends through a Google Chrome extension. 

Get out

Social isolation doesn’t mean indoor confinement. Enjoy the spring weather by sitting out on your porch. Or go for a walk or hike on a secluded trail. If you come across someone along the path, just be sure to stay at least six feet away from others to practice social distancing.