Juvenile Boosts Vaccination Efforts With ‘Vax That Thang Up’

07.12.21
Juvenile Boosts Vaccination Efforts With ‘Vax That Thang Up’ (Photo: Paras Griffin/Getty Images)

New Orleans rapper Juvenile gives fans a laugh with a message by recreating his late 1999 hit “Back That A** Up” as “Vax That Thang Up.” 

Juvenile enlists Mannie Fresh and Mia X for the new vaccination anthem. The song is part of a campaign by dating app BLK to help inspire people to get vaccinated against COVID-19 and its variants. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa_gk3X5UEE

The app gained popularity throughout the past year of social distancing. As the worst parts of the pandemic seem to move into the rearview, users are looking to meet in person.

In the song Juvenile raps “I know you can’t stand it/ No holding hands chick/ But when we get the shot/ We gon be romancing,” Mannie Fresh raps in this culturally catered approach to combating vaccine hesitancy. 

However, Juvenile left a cryptic caption on Instagram when promoting the video “TO EACH HIS OWN! Do what’s best for YOU and YOUR LIFE no matter what’s being said or done!”, making it unclear what the “Slow Motion” rapper’s stance is on vaccines. 

Since the spread of more rapid COVID-19 variants in the U.S. predominantly impacts unvaccinated individuals, BLK has pushed to join other dating apps like Tinder and Bumble in encouraging users to get the vaccine before transitioning back to in-person dating. 

At 1.5M views after just one day on YouTube, hopefully, the revival of this party classic will push individuals in the dating world to have protected fun this summer, in more ways than one.