Chlöe Bailey Shares How She Managed Depression

04.09.23
Chlöe Bailey Shares How She Managed Depression (Terence Rushin via Getty Images)

In a world where many people live with various mental health issues, Chlöe Bailey wants to share her experience in hopes of helping those with similar experiences.

The 24 year-old singer-actress talked on the “Tamron Hall Show” about how she struggled with depression a few years ago.

“You know, when you get stuck in that moment for too long, and it feels a little too long being there? It didn't have anything to do with my career or my music. It was all personal, internal things. And I think when you figure things out that make you question your entire life, you look at yourself like ‘what did I do wrong? Am I good enough,’” the “Swarm” star said. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckTPz9TrLLA

The “Treat Me” singer credited her triumph over tough times to music and her family. She expressed that the battle with depression is not something that ever goes away, but it’s something that can be bearable when you have the right support system. Things like not comparing yourself to others on the internet and having the right people helped the Atlanta star.

“I want people to know because I don't want there to be a young woman or a young fella out there feeling alone. Like there's something wrong with them. It's not and especially right now in this generation with social media, and everything all in your face and you're comparing your worst self to everyone's fake best self and you know with FOMO and things like that,” Bailey said.

The voice behind “In Pieces” spoke candidly regarding the negative effects of social media and how being away from it was good for her mental health. The positive effects of removing social media from her life were especially felt after the release of Prime original series.”

“You want to know the great thing about removing Twitter from your phone? Anything negative I did not see! In turn, I was just proud of the work I did as an actress. Let me tell you something that just boosted my confidence as an actress so much,” the Grammy-nominated singer told Hall.

Bailey said, “If I could just help one person feel less alone and inspired to go talk to someone or lean on a family or friend … then I know I've done my job. This is greater than myself, and ever since I was young, I'd always pray to God like, 'God I want to do this, I want to also inspire and help people,' so while I'm helping and healing myself, that's why I created this album. Because it was therapy for me and now I can use it to hopefully help someone else."