Content in partnership with True Star

Combating Milestone Burnout

06.20.23
Combating Milestone Burnout

ChicagoSo you just graduated high school or college and cannot seem to get out of bed or do anything productive? You’re not alone. After finally hitting a huge milestone in life, many people experience a feeling of emptiness. 

According to an Inc. article titled “Why You Might Feel Empty After Reaching a Huge Goal,” “The brain releases dopamine, a hormone associated with both motivation and happiness, in anticipation of reward. So when you plan and know you’re going to work for something, you’re in a biological position to feel good.” So when you finally reach a huge goal in your life (graduating), you have nothing to look forward to. This is how people get stuck in a limbo of what I liked to call “motivational burnout,” desperately looking for the next goal to work towards.

How do you avoid this cycle of motivational burnout? These tips can help.

Worry About Yourself

Motivational burnout occurs because people compare their own achievements to someone else’s achievements. This constant competition makes it so your self-worth fluctuates based on how well another person is doing. Focus on yourself and your own personal goals. 

Have Multiple Goals

A good way to combat motivational burnout is to have more than one goal at a time, completely avoiding the limbo of burnout. This way, you are always keeping yourself busy.

Give Yourself Some Grace

Although it may feel good to stay productive, you need periods of rest to be able to stay productive. Jumping back into a big project or goal can lead to even more burnout and procrastination. For now, pat yourself on the back for recently reaching your amazing goals.

Read more …

This guest post is in partnership with True Star Media.