Figuring Out Your 20s: Mental Health And Seeking Help

Adulthood is not linear, and neither is mental health.

03.06.24
Figuring Out Your 20s: Mental Health And Seeking Help (Getty Images)

SeattleAdulting is challenging when you’re responsible for everything in your life while navigating change, growth and transitions. That’s why it’s important to understand your mental health and seek help when you need it. 

My recent articles have shared my current experiences around seasons and life transitions. I’ve been keeping my head above water and existing but not living. Factoring in the reality of what my life has looked like the past couple of months, I knew that my mental health wasn’t in the best place, and that transferred to how I’ve been living my life:

• Going to bed and waking up late
  • Not going to the gym or sticking to routines
  • Canceling last-minute plans
  • Not showing up as my whole self at work and in social spaces 

I decided to look past any shame I had since I thought I could navigate my current challenges on my own. I started seeing a therapist again after a year and it’s changed my perspective for the better. Taking care of my mental health and going to therapy has become instrumental for me in navigating adulthood.

Having a safe space to explore my thoughts, feelings, and experiences has been liberating. I’ve better understood myself, my relationships, and the world around me. I’ve challenged myself to process the things I bring up and the perspectives given to me, including my therapist’s opinions, which has been helpful.

I no longer live as a victim of the struggles I go through but instead act as an active participant in my healing journey and define what my life looks like. 

The journey of self-discovery and healing has been rewarding but humbling. Consistently unpacking emotions, being vulnerable, and challenging old patterns and beliefs have allowed me to extend grace toward myself. 

Adulthood is not linear, and neither is mental health. We never stop growing or learning, and we’re constantly uncovering something that comes to the surface.

I’m excited about the shift in my tone and content as I speak on other topics in adulthood and continue navigating this tough world. It’s okay not to have it all figured out, and seeking help is a brave and essential step in building resilience, improving relationships, and managing your mental health.

Tracy Noze is a Seattle-based journalist.