Prioritizing Mental Health On National Stress Awareness Day

Here are some mental health practices that potentially help to tackle stress as we celebrate National Stress Awareness Day.

11.02.22
Prioritizing Mental Health On National Stress Awareness Day (Getty Images)

Celebrated every first Wednesday of November, National Stress Awareness Day allows everyone to have a day to themselves to focus on how to have a better peace of mind and mental state. It is essential to recognize stress as well as learn how to handle and respond to it appropriately. 

Everybody experiences stress. Symptoms of stress may become prominent when interviewing for a new job, preparing for a test, or drafting a college application. Stress is normal and beneficial

However, too much stress is exhausting, both mentally and physically. Enduring long-term stress can have negative consequences, such as depression, stomachaches  and tense muscles

Some situations may be uncontrollable, however you have control over how you respond and act. Here are some mental health practices that potentially help to tackle stress as we celebrate this important day.

1. Breathe

In some cases, the source of stress is an unpleasant environment. A flower cannot blossom in a poor environment. Touching grass and exploring the outside world heals, soothes, and restores the body, allowing for a clear and relaxed mindset. It is easy to lose sight of the good things in life when confronted with adversity. A trip to nature might provide you with a much-needed breath of fresh air. 

1. Take Care Of Yourself

Neglecting yourself when undergoing stress is never a good idea. Forming habits that allow you to pay close attention to your body can go a long way in improving your self-perception. Something as simple as brushing your teeth, hopping in the shower, maintaining a balanced diet, and getting enough sleep can all help to relieve and prevent stress.

1. Protect Your Happiness

When undergoing the world’s pressures, many people can relate to the feeling of having to please others and putting aside their own needs. However, this tendency can be emotionally draining, resulting in increased stress. If it means protecting your happiness, it is perfectly acceptable to say "No," take breaks or walk away from a situation that is weighing you down.

1. Nourish Your Mind With Positive Affirmations

Social media can be a harmful place, especially for the younger generation. Even so, ridding the negatives of social media may not be as easy as pressing the delete button. Here are a few social media accounts that post positive affirmations almost daily to give you a confidence boost for the day.

1. Utilize Your Resources

The phrase, “The entire world is against me” can be easily said when things are not as simple and easy as we wish. However, mental health resources are available. Many colleges, for example, provide mental health resources to students. For free mental health services near you, visit https://www.freementalhealth.us/