Moisture-Rich Products Can Keep Your Skin Happy This Winter

Incorporating these ingredients into your skincare routine could work wonders for your skin this season.

12.07.22
Moisture-Rich Products Can Keep Your Skin Happy This Winter (Getty Images)

A wardrobe transition is not only needed as the temperature drops, but also essential are new steps in our skincare routine. The serums and moisturizers that were effective in summer may not be as sufficient by autumn and winter. 

When temperatures become cooler, skin can become damaged due to harsh conditions, often leading to more skin issues including sensitivity, dryness and inflammation. Dry air, chilly winds and continuous exposure to indoor heat deplete skin moisture as colder weather approaches. Caring for our skin during winter calls for moisture balance to promote healthy skin barrier function.

Typically, we are bound to experience skin changes as we adjust to new temperatures. Each season's arrival marks the need to establish new steps in our usual skincare routine. When browsing the skincare aisle in search of the miracle products, keep an eye out for the following ingredients that could bring back moisture to your skin this winter.

Squalane 

Derived from sugarcane and plant oils, squalane is a facial oil with skin-loving properties. Squalene, a key component of surface lipids and sebum, the fatty molecules that make up natural oils that help keep our skin barrier hydrated, is produced by our bodies at a slower rate as we age. Squalane is a vitamin-rich simulant of squalene that provides the skin with the same essential minerals as its own naturally produced oils.

Body Butter

Consider body butter as a knight in shining armor who protects you from a variety of skin issues such as dryness, peeling, dark spots, stretch marks, rashes and eczema. Shea butter, mango butter and cocoa butter are a few examples of body butters that are packed with nutrients, providing your skin with a thick layer of moisture as a shield from dryness.

Fruit Extracts 

Fruits provide a variety of advantages that you can enjoy the benefits of both internally and topically. Apples, oranges, strawberries and watermelons are a few examples of superfruits that support the skin's ability to fight off free radicals, which are the root cause of a number of skin conditions. Fruit-enriched skincare can help to achieve healthy, glowing skin from the antioxidant and vitamin properties fruits have to offer. 

Barrier Restoratives

Maintaining a healthy skin barrier is essential to keep bad things out and good things in. Allowing your skin to renew itself with the help of the healing attributes from restoratives can get your barrier back in good shape. Omega fatty acids, peptides and ceramides support collagen and elastin production, allowing for supple, youthful and healthy skin.

Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice 

Aloe vera acquires the ability to benefit the skin by acting as an anti-inflammatory and soothing agent. Aloe vera leaf juice is a potent source of antioxidants and contains a significant amount of water, which helps to hydrate the skin and retain moisture. There is always a reason to keep aloe vera on hand, whether you're looking for a comforting treatment for bug bites, excessive sun exposure, or tender skin.