Content in partnership with Washington Square News

New Vending Machines to Provide Emergency Contraceptives on Campus

Students can now access emergency contraceptives at vending machines for $15 at five locations on campus.

09.04.23
New Vending Machines to Provide Emergency Contraceptives on Campus (Getty Images)

New York City, NYby Bruna Horvath

This story was originally published on New York University’s Washington Square News.

Emergency contraceptives will now be easier to access for NYU students, thanks to five vending machines stocked with the medication installed prior to the start of the semester.

The change comes after student demands for increased reproductive health care access on campus last spring. Students can get the medication from the machines for $15 at five different locations, including the Kimmel Center for University Life, Lafayette Hall, Lipton Hall, Othmer Hall and Palladium Hall. 

The vending machines — which carry a generic version of the common emergency contraceptive Plan B — will be available for use at any time of the day for residents and guests at each dorm. The name of the medication will not appear on students’ bank statements after purchase, and will instead appear as “Vengo Mini Vending Machine.”

According to Student Health Center executive director Carlo Ciotoli, the SHC increased its focus on reproductive health access on campus following the overturning of Roe v. Wade — a landmark U.S. Supreme Court case that protected the right to an abortion.

Read the rest of the story at Washington Square News.