Trying to Stay Positive Even Under Lockdown

03.30.20
Trying to Stay Positive Even Under Lockdown (Photo courtesy of Valencia White)

When my school announced it was closing temporarily to prevent the spread of COVID-19, I was honestly excited. But after the shelter-in-place order went into effect, my excitement quickly turned into anxiety.

I’ll admit, the first couple days were hard. I mostly stayed in my pajamas, watched TV, and ate an obscene amount of junk food. My school ruled that classes can’t be made mandatory, so I was really stuck with nothing to do. 

But after talking to my mom, we both agreed that I need more of a routine in order to make it through. So we started working out everyday for 40 minutes, and I’ve already seen a positive impact on my health — both mental and physical. I also set personal goals for myself. I want to cook more, organize my room and apply to scholarships for college in the fall. 

While it is unclear how long the shelter-in-place order will last, I’ve begun to view this time as more of a blessing than a curse. It’s forcing me to focus on self care and become a better version of myself.