Content in partnership with KQED

Discovering Home in the Bay Area

Isha Smith moved around a lot growing up. But it wasn’t until they moved to the Bay Area that they found what it truly means to be home.

02.15.24
Discovering Home in the Bay Area (Isha Smith/YR Media)

Oakland, CAIt's a strange experience, learning how to build a home in a place you are not from.

Growing up, “home” wasn’t a word that held much meaning to me. I moved around a lot, but spent the majority of my life in Gainesville, Florida. Even though I spent years there, I never got to know the place. My idea of home was simply a container, not tethered to a specific location, or held down by any roots. 

A few years and moves down the line, I found myself in Oakland, California. When I first moved here, I didn’t really know how to settle into a place or truly establish roots. Now, I’ve learned what it feels to be at home in a place, both a particular location and to the people and communities found within it. I’ve developed deep, full-bodied friendships and new closeness with my family. I find myself much closer with my sister now — with her in Berkeley and me in Oakland — than we ever were living in the same house in a different city. 

I recall my first time visiting my sister here and harvesting kale at the farm she works at. I recall my long walks to school my freshman year of high school. I recall falling asleep on the sofa of a friend’s house — sounds of laughter and dancing from the next room.

If the future guides me away from this place, I have a million memories I can look back on fondly, as memories of home. I’m deeply grateful to have formed the connection I have to the Bay Area. It’s a wonderfully unique place, rich in culture and community. Even though I’ve only lived here for three years — barely half the amount of time I spent in Gainesville — this is the closest I’ve ever felt to a place. When I think about home when I was younger versus how it is for me now, I think the main difference is that I look forward to coming home. 

To me, home is somewhere I choose to return to every single day. 

Isha Smith (they/them) is a student writer and photographer living in Oakland, California.

Edited by Amber Ly