I Want To Move Out for College but My Parents Are Reluctant

08.18.19

Oakland, CAMy parents taught me that family comes first. Family sticks together. But it’s hard to hold onto these values as I get ready for college.

I come from a large, traditional Latino family. Family unity is ingrained in our culture. We’re expected to live with our parents until we get married. No exceptions. Relatives who step away from these traditions are seen as selfish.

I’m looking at local colleges, and I plan on living on campus. When I told my parents that I want to move out, they were upset. “No. Are you crazy?” They said. They even bought me a car to get to and from school, in attempt to keep me at home longer.

I love my parents and I appreciate the values they have taught me. I realize that moving out at age 19 is an American value. But it’s one I want to embrace. I see it as a part of growing up and becoming independent. Moving out won’t mean that I love them any less or that I’ll stop visiting.

I hope they can see this move as me taking initiative in my education and not as a selfish gesture.