Finding Comfort in YouTube Hair Tutorials

01.20.19
Finding Comfort in YouTube Hair Tutorials (Illustration: Mai Tran)

Oakland, CALast year, I decided to grow out my kinky, curly hair for the first time. But there was no one in my family that I could turn to. YouTube came to the rescue.

In my immediate family, I’m the only one with kinky hair. I’m mixed race ---black, white, and Filipina. My mom has loose curls and my dad’s hair is straight. I didn’t have anyone to look to for guidance.

Time and again, I wandered through the natural hair aisle—feeling lost. When I decided to grow my hair out, I realized I needed some real advice. So I turned to YouTube.

Immediately, I discovered tons of girls online that faced the same hair challenges. I didn’t feel alone anymore. Through these videos I was able to try out new products and styles. I feel less intimidated in the beauty supply store now.

I often hear about social media and the internet hurting more than helping teens. But in this case, I was able to discover a community that wasn’t available for me in person.

Watching people talk about their natural hair made me feel more confident about mine. Now, I consider it one of my best features.