Content in partnership with KCBS

Finding That One Special Gift

02.14.22
Finding That One Special Gift (Natasha Breen via Getty Images)

This Valentine’s Day will be the first time my significant other and I have had a Valentine, and it’s been tough finding a gift to fit such a special occasion. 

It brings me so much joy to see people's smiles when they open their presents. I wanted to make this happen for my boyfriend too.

Every Valentine’s Day, my social media feed is flooded with couples going on luxurious dates and gifting each other diamond rings. Now that I have a Valentine, the gift expectations feel overwhelmingly high.

I spent hour after hour, day after day, looking for the perfect gift. 

Necklaces with our initials sounded cute until I factored in shipping — the custom pieces would not make it in time for Valentine’s Day. So, that idea went out the window. Since he likes to exercise, I even considered a treadmill or punching bag!

I was out of ideas until I came across a mini waffle maker that created heart-shaped waffles. Knowing that he loves to cook, I was so happy I immediately bought it, along with Belgian waffle mix and maple syrup.

I plan to top everything off with a heartfelt card, sushi for lunch and a box of gourmet chocolate. And, of course, heart-themed gift wrap.

This experience taught me that doing something special for someone doesn’t require the luxury of spending hundreds of dollars. After all, it’s the little things that matter.