I May Be Moving Out, But My Relationship With My Mom Remains

09.16.19
I May Be Moving Out, But My Relationship With My Mom Remains (Photo Courtesy of Nina Roehl)

My mom and I are very close. We go on dinner dates, we go to the movies, and we’ve gone to concerts together. So when I brought up the idea of moving out, it didn’t go so well. 

I’m a sophomore in college and just like the majority of students, I live on campus. I go back home during school breaks and for the summer. But now, I’m ready to be on my own. 

At one of our mother-daughter dinners, I broke the news to my mom that I want to permanently move out after this year.

She didn’t give me much of a response. Just, “Oh okay.”

A few weeks later, it came up again. This time, she let me have it. “I do so much for you, and now you want to move out?!”

My mom worries that our relationship will drastically change, but it already has. Our relationship has evolved from my mom taking care of me as a kid, to us doing things together.

And now we’re entering a new phase, but I know that our closeness goes beyond as mother and daughter and living at home.