Dad Designs Swimwear Line for Transgender Daughter

02.03.21
Dad Designs Swimwear Line for Transgender Daughter (Photo: Rubies/Facebook)

ChicagoA Toronto father’s transgender daughter, who transitioned at 9, wanted to wear a bikini for the first time at age 11, but the options were extremely limited. He took matters into own hands and created swimwear for her. 

Following months of research and talking to other parents of transgender kids, Jamie Alexander launched “Rubies” a year ago. The name is inspired by his daughter’s name, Ruby.

“I wanted to design clothing that feels the same and looks the same as my daughter’s cisgender friends are wearing,” said Alexander, according to Yahoo News. The first item was a bikini bottom. The brand is size inclusive, ranging from kids’ sizes 4-24. 

Photo: Jamie Alexander/Rubies via Instagram

From modeling, to giving feedback and approving each item before it’s featured on the website, Ruby is actively involved in the brand’s development, he said.

“To know these kids have been able to go back to their activities and feel comfortable wearing Rubies, with a lot of them wearing them under leggings, that’s what I’m most proud of,” said Alexander.