Content in partnership with KCBS

Let’s Talk Black and Asian Solidarity

06.14.21
Let’s Talk Black and Asian Solidarity (Xion Abiodun as a young child with Yuri Kochiyama in 2006. (Photo courtesy of Xion Abiodun))

The call for Black and Asian solidarity can feel complicated because of the long history of tension between both communities. As someone who is Black and part Asian, I feel pressure from both sides.

Growing up, I always knew that there was a split between my two communities, but I never knew why. As I got older, I started learning how that tension is rooted in racism and Black and Asian folks being pitted against each other. 

I’ve seen many posts on social media about how Black people aren’t showing up for the Asian community right now, as anti-Asian violence continues. But I’ve also seen posts about how Asian people aren’t supporting the Black community enough. In reality, I feel like this is causing an even bigger divide between us. It seems like people are just trying to highlight reasons why we shouldn’t help each other thrive. 

But many people forget that there’s examples in history of Black and Asian communities fighting racism together. Like when Japanese activist Yuri Kochiyama worked alongside Malcolm X. 

At the end of the day, solidarity isn’t transactional. And all communities of color need each other because we’re in the same fight together.