Pride’s History of Resistance Makes Us Powerful

06.15.23
Pride’s History of Resistance Makes Us Powerful (Brittany Murray, Press-Telegram/SCNG)

Last year, I went to my first pride event. I never experienced anything like it — being in a crowd full of other LGBTQ+ people, watching drag queens perform. I felt so much joy. But this pride month feels different.

A record number of anti-LGBTQ+ legislation have been introduced this year. Many of them are targeting children’s education and books. Others are targeting drag queens and trans lives. 

Pride has always been a protest, from the Stonewall Riots to the first Pride March in 1970. This time of year is a very visible way for LGBTQ+ people to fight for our rights. 

With the recent passing of more homophobic and transphobic legislation, it's more important than ever to remember Pride Month is an opportunity to show up, so we can continue to be seen and heard in society.

Whether it's attending a protest, donating or volunteering, there are lots of ways people can make an impact — big or small. 

For me, I’m trying to be more conscious with my spending — buying from LBGTQ+ owned businesses whenever I can. I’m showing up for my community. It reminds me that we are not powerless. 

Emma Schulman, (she/they) is a political science major at the University of Colorado Boulder.

Edited by Shaylyn Martos and Amber Ly