Arts Education is an Overlooked Tool for Student Success

"Art classes are often undervalued, but every student can benefit from taking them."

04.18.23
Arts Education is an Overlooked Tool for Student Success (Harald Müller via Unsplash)

People often consider art classes to be only beneficial to students who want to pursue a career in that field. But that’s definitely not the case for me. 

Even though I plan to focus on science in college, my high school offers a wide variety of art classes, and taking them has made me feel like a more well-rounded student.

Working on scripts for my film class has helped me succeed in other subjects like English because I’ve improved my writing skills. And learning photo composition from taking photography has helped me with analyzing primary sources in history.

Art classes are often undervalued, but every student can benefit from taking them. Creativity is a skill that spans many disciplines. These classes can be a way to find career paths or stay engaged and excited about learning.

In 2022, California’s Proposition 28 passed, providing funding to expand opportunities for students to explore art in public schools.

This is a step in the right direction for all students, especially those in underfunded districts, regardless of their career goals. Because even as a person pursuing STEM, I wouldn’t be the student I am without my art classes.