Students Start ‘Water Wars’ to Help Water Crisis in Benton Harbor

12.02.21
Students Start ‘Water Wars’ to Help Water Crisis in Benton Harbor (Photo: Getty Images)

ChicagoStudents at South Haven High School vowed to do their part in helping Benton Harbor residents get clean water.

A “water wars” challenge among all student levels garnered a collection of more than 5,500 gallons of water, according to News Channel 3.

"It is great to see our students identify an issue within our society and participate in helping those in need," said Principal Ryan Williamson. "I think it is a great lesson and I am proud that they saw it through from donating to delivery."

The school’s senior class president, Jacob Timmer, said the challenge “overwhelmingly” exceeded their expectations.

"We started the challenge thinking we might get 100 cases of water," he said. "It is so awesome that our students and community really stepped it up and donated to help those in need."

Officials in Benton, Harbor Michigan warned of a dangerous amount of lead in the city’s water system due to a water main break Oct. 20.

Due to the break, the department urged the community of predominantly Black residents of about 10,000 “not to drink the water until further notice.” They’ve also been advised to use bottled water for cooking, brushing teeth, washing dishes, making ice and more.