Biden Gave Commencement Speech at One of the Top HBCUs

President Joe Biden’s making the rounds on the commencement speech circuit, including at Howard University.

05.15.23
Biden Gave Commencement Speech at One of the Top HBCUs (Anna Rose Layden via Getty Images)

President Joe Biden gave the commencement speech at Howard University, a historically Black university in Washington, D.C., on Saturday. He is also expected to give the keynote address at the United States Air Force Academy's commencement in El Paso County, Colorado, on June 1. 

The speech – which touched on several issues, including white supremacy – marked the first time a sitting president has spoken at the institution’s commencement since Barack Obama in 2016.

@majc999

Biden At Howard University Says "Most Dangerous Terrorist Threat To Our Homeland Is White Supremacy

♬ original sound - MAJ999

Biden’s focus on HBCUs reflect the administration’s commitment to addressing the inequities and injustices faced by Black and other marginalized communities. 

His appearance at Howard follows Vice President Kamala Harris's recent speech on abortion rights at the same institution. His remarks took place less than a month after he announced his 2024 reelection bid, a campaign that will focus heavily on turning out Black and young voters to the ballot box.