Biden Still Ahead as Trump Fights Results

11.05.20
Biden Still Ahead as Trump Fights Results (Photo: Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

There’s been no change in the electoral vote tally for President Donald Trump (214) and former vice president Joe Biden (253), and the legal challenges levied by the president continue.

The race hinges on several states — Arizona, Georgia, Nevada and Pennsylvania — which are too close to call in each. Biden is the projected winner in Michigan and the apparent winner in Wisconsin. 

Trump, repeatedly claiming on Twitter that the election is a “fraud,” called for a recount in Wisconsin and filed lawsuits in Georgia, Michigan and Pennsylvania. 

As of Thursday, the legal attempts in Georgia and Michigan failed.

“There is no evidence that the Chatham County Board of Elections or the Chatham County Board of Registrars has failed to comply with the law,” a Georgia judge said.

A Michigan state court said Trump’s campaign offered no evidence that the law was being broken, and a request to stop ballot counting was denied.

Biden, speaking Thursday, reiterated his message from the day before that the “vote is sacred” in America.

“Each ballot must be counted, and that’s what we’re going to see going through now. And that’s how it should be. Democracy’s sometimes messy. It sometimes requires a little patience as well. But that patience has been rewarded now for more than 240 years with a system of governance that’s been the envy of the world. I ask all people to stay calm. The process is working. The count is being completed. Thank you all for your patience,” Biden said from Wilmington, Delaware.