Charity Golf Match to Fund Nearly a Dozen HBCUs

11.25.20
Charity Golf Match to Fund Nearly a Dozen HBCUs (Photo: Christian Petersen/Getty Images)

DeKalb, ILSeveral professional athletes are helping to financially contribute to 11 Historically Black Colleges and Universities through a premier golfing event, “Capital One’s The Match: Champions for Change,” on Nov. 27. 

The athletes include World Golf Hall of Famer Phil Mickelson and NBA Hall of Famer Charles Barkley going against three-time NBA Champion Stephen Curry and two-time Super Bowl Champion Peyton Manning. 

The event aims to highlight diversity, equality and inclusion through donations to HBCUs, while raising awareness and spotlighting opportunities for diversity equality in sports, according to HBCUBuzz

“We are so appreciative that Turner Sports and the Bleacher Report have chosen to recognize and uplift HBCUs at this time,” said Suzanne Walsh, president of Bennett College. “The financial support to Bennett College is a timely investment in the future of Black women who aspire to be champions for change.”

The event will contribute to Morehouse College, Howard University, Alabama A&M, Hampton University and Winston-Salem State University, to primarily help fund golf or sports journalism programs.

The four golfers have also selected Jackson State (Mickelson), Tuskegee (Barkley) and Howard (Curry), along with Grambling State, Southern University at New Orleans and Lane College (Manning), to be the recipients of their donations.

The event will be available on TNT and leading up to the live coverage, Bleacher Report’s House of Highlights will stream on its app a closest-to-the-pin contest with social media influencers such as Jesser, Kristopher London, Tristan Jass and MMG. House of Highlights will also make donations to Bennett College and Spelman College.