DOJ Settles Voting Rights Lawsuit with New Jersey

08.20.21
DOJ Settles Voting Rights Lawsuit with New Jersey ( Pacific Press/Getty Images)

Plainfield, NJAccountability by advocacy is underway for the disabled community by way of the Department of Justice. Last week the DOJ settled a voting rights lawsuit with the State of New Jersey and State officials. This settlement came in time for the upcoming elections, and with more than 31% of Gen Z and Millenials eligible to vote.

The Department’s lawsuit came when New Jersey Transit and other community transportation programs did not provide voter registration forms to those in the disabled community. 

Generation Z is the future of voting. 30% of millennials have a disability and based on trends, that will increase with Gen Z. 

“Part of our ongoing effort to ensure access to the ballot includes ensuring that social service and disability agencies are providing registration opportunities as required under federal law,” said Assistant Attorney General Kristen Clarke of the Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division.

Approximately 10.3% of New Jersey’s population is labeled as disabled. That is around 8,860,000 individuals who can register for disabled transportation programs and receive an application to vote. 

The State of New Jersey and NJ Transit are committed to implementing programs that ensure everyone they are serving has the opportunity to register to vote. This settlement was agreed upon with the Department of Justice instead of going to court. 

NJ Transit will install tracking methods to make sure their department complies with the National Voter Registration Act and provide training on how to do so.