Emergency Federal Funding Requested For Safety at HBCUs

Nearly 60 HBCUs received threats this year, either via phone, email, direct message or online.

03.02.22
Emergency Federal Funding Requested For Safety at HBCUs (YR Staff)

ChicagoFollowing a recent spike in bomb threats, Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin requested emergency funding from the General Assembly for Historically Black Colleges and Universities to increase campus security and safety.

“I am angry and deeply concerned by the recent pattern of bomb threats plaguing our historically Black colleges and universities,” said Youngkin, according to Richmond.com. “I am committed to harnessing state resources to support these institutions and will work together with them on a continued coordinated response that ensures the safety of our HBCU students and faculty.”

Nearly 60 HBCUs received threats this year, either via phone, email, direct message or online. Some schools were put on lockdown despite the lack of evidence of explosive devices on any of the affected campuses.

While Virginia State University did not receive threats, it recently hired additional police officers, updated its operations plan and offered additional training to employees, according to a university spokesperson.