Florida Teen Writes Own Legacy As First Black Male Salutatorian

Jeremiah Daniels IV, graduating with a 4.6 GPA from Boca Ciega High School in Gulfport, Florida, made history as the first Black male salutatorian in the school's 69-year history. It was a goal he set as a freshman.

06.03.22
Florida Teen Writes Own Legacy As First Black Male Salutatorian (Facebook)

Tallahassee, FLFlorida teen Jeremiah Daniels IV has made history as the first Black male salutatorian in his high school's 69-year history. 

Graduating with a 4.6 GPA from Boca Ciega High School in Gulfport, Florida, his parents told Fox 13 Tampa that becoming the first Black male to be named salutatorian was a goal he set at the start of his high school career. 

"He told his father and I four years ago that he wanted to be the salutatorian and we knew that he could achieve it in the end. For him to work at it, year after year, straight A's since third grade," said his mother, Brittney Daniels.

The scholar gave recognition to his teachers for helping him achieve this milestone and  “made history in the process."

"I would say the teachers, for sure, that definitely challenged me on the challenges itself, like learning something new and being able to say, 'I can understand it,' and actually being able to use it and apply it to different situations … I'm just glad for the opportunity to be able to create Black history and be a part of something bigger," he said. 

He plans to attend Florida State University, majoring in computer engineering. Through his story, he hopes he can inspire others never to give up and set goals. 

"Don't let obstacles stop [you in your] way and just continue to grow and push through," he said. "I'm just glad for the opportunity to be able to create Black history and be a part of something bigger.”