George Floyd: Ex-Cop Derek Chauvin Convicted of Killing Floyd

04.20.21
George Floyd: Ex-Cop Derek Chauvin Convicted of Killing Floyd (Photo: Stephen Maturen/Getty Images)

ChicagoDerek Chauvin, the former ex-Minneapolis cop who knelt on George Floyd’s neck for nearly nine minutes last May, was found guilty of second-degree unintentional murder, second-degree manslaughter and third-degree murder. 

Floyd's killing ignited the largest civil rights movement in the country since the 1960s with months-long protests against police brutality.

Seven men and five women deliberated for 11 hours after hearing testimony for three weeks.

Second-degree murder carries a maximum sentence of 40 years; third-degree murder carries a maximum of 25 years; and second-degree manslaughter is punishable by up to 10 years.

U.S. Attorney General William Barr rejected a plea deal from Chauvin for third-degree murder. He said the investigation was in its initial stages and the deal would likely be seen as too lenient.

A federal police reform bill named after Floyd is one step closer to becoming law. The George Floyd Justice and Police Act aimed at ending racial profiling, excessive force and police misconduct. 

Three other former officers — J. Alexander Kueng, Thomas Lane and Tou Thao — will go to trial this summer for aiding and abetting, second-degree murder and manslaughter.