Getting Back Into School Mode Begins with You

08.10.23
Getting Back Into School Mode Begins with You (Stefano Guidi via Getty Images)

GeorgiaAs we approach the end of summer, those starting or returning to school in late August are nearing the end of their carefree days. Transitioning back into the academic routine may seem like a breeze, but it is not uncommon to face specific difficulties. While summer might have brought joy and tranquility to many, readjusting to the demands of school can pose a significant challenge. 

I can relate to your situation, having also experienced the nervousness of starting a new school year. It is a feeling that many of us share, so I aim to alleviate some of your anxiety through this article. With the fall semester rapidly approaching, it is prudent to start organizing and contemplating ahead of time. Instead of becoming overwhelmed and fretting about the end of a leisurely and enjoyable summer, there are numerous enjoyable approaches to preparing for the upcoming semester. 

The first step is to reflect on the previous year, what went well, and what could have improved. After reflecting on the last academic year, you were planning the materials needed to accommodate your classes for the upcoming semester and looking for supplies. School shopping can be fun and does not have to burn a hole in your pocket, depending on your appearance. Shops such as Plato’s Closet, TJ Maxx for school supplies, and Marshals for well-quality supplies at reasonable prices. These shops can help save money while purchasing high-quality school supplies, clothes, and needed resources. 

Take advantage of the remaining summer days to relax and prepare for the upcoming academic year. Use this time to reflect on your aspirations and jot down the specific goals you wish to achieve. By documenting your dreams, you are setting yourself up for success, providing a clear roadmap, and allowing you to take deliberate actions toward your desired outcomes. This is a crucial step in transitioning back into the school routine, and it is essential to thoroughly analyze how you can attain each goal to hold yourself accountable. As you gradually tick off each item on your list, you will experience a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction. Personally, I find it helpful to record my goals in the Notes app on my phone and track my progress using Google Docs. 

Many of us find comfort in snuggling up in our cozy beds and taking a nap, avoiding the thought of the responsibilities that await us after we wake up. However, establishing a healthy sleep schedule is crucial for staying productive and motivated throughout the day. During the summer, it's likely that we've had moments where we stayed up late and slept in, making it difficult to adjust to waking up early for school. To overcome this challenge, gradually setting our alarm clocks for earlier times can train our bodies to wake up at a specific time, making getting out of bed less jarring. 

No matter the sequence in which you decide to prepare yourself for school, there isn't a single formula for achieving readiness for the forthcoming academic year. Each individual possesses their own distinct qualities, and the level of triumph one aspires to in their studies necessitates the initial step of relishing a prosperous year and subsequently making proactive efforts to reach that goal. 

Ashleigh Ewald (she/her/hers) is a Georgia-based journalist who attends Oglethorpe University. Follow her on IG: @ashleighewaldofficial.

Edited by NaTyshca Pickett