Louisiana Cop Puts Teen in Chokehold

02.25.21
Louisiana Cop Puts Teen in Chokehold (Screenshot from video posted to Twitter appearing to show Baton Rouge Police officer with arm around the back of a teen's neck. (Screenshot: @JonahMGilmore/Twitter))

ChicagoA 13-year-old boy was shown on video Sunday placed in a chokehold by a Baton Rouge police officer.

Officers were called to a scene of kids allegedly harassing others and deescalated the situation, said Baton Rouge Police Chief Murphy Paul. About an hour later, they went back and detained two minors. 

It’s unclear what led to the 12-year veteran office to place a chokehold on the teen, as seen in a video circulating on social media.

The video shows the boy in distress as the officer pins him to the ground. In the background, bystanders can be heard pleading with the officer to release the child. 

The boy was placed in a juvenile detention center under charges of battery of a police officer, according to The Advocate

The city and the police department filed a petition to publicize the full body-camera video as it involves a minor. The video will be given to the family, according to Baton Rouge Mayor-President Sharon Weston Broome. 

“I understand the significance of this moment, given our history and events that have taken place in our country. I will make sure that this is thoroughly investigated,” Broome said. 

The family hired attorney Ron Haley.

“I appreciate the swift response from Mayor Broome and the promises made by Chief Paul,” Haley said in a statement. “However, too many times in our community we see obvious police misconduct go unchecked and unpunished. No unarmed child should be choked and manhandled by a police officer.”