Morgan State’s Homecoming Canceled After Shooting

Morgan State University is offering assistance to students with food, shelter, relocation assistance and mental health support.

10.04.23
Morgan State’s Homecoming Canceled After Shooting (Anna Moneymaker via Getty Images)

BaltimoreDays before Morgan State University was to start its homecoming celebrations, campus safety was called into question after five people were shot Tuesday evening.

President David K. Wilson released a statement Wednesday stating that school administration was trying to “navigate” through tragic events and some homecoming will be canceled. 

“The safety of our campus is of the utmost importance and our resolve in ensuring that we have a secure campus is paramount. In response to last evening’s events, we are aggressively increasing security measures on campus, further amplifying additional security measures that have been implemented in recent years,” Wilson said.

This will be the first time in Morgan State’s history that homecoming has been either canceled or postponed. 

Kristen Sweets, a graduating senior, was on campus when the shooting took place. She was attending the annual coronation ceremony where Mr. and Mrs. Morgan State University was crowned. 

“The coronation ceremony at Morgan State University was very beautiful. To see all the kings and queens represent us and what truly Black excellence is was great,” Sweets said. “It is unfortunate that a night so beautiful was destroyed by an act of gun violence. Personally, I am still shaken up by everything as I was in very close proximity to the act. Homecoming itself should be canceled this weekend for the sake of everyone’s safety.”

Canceled activities include a concert, silent headphones party, pep rally and parade and the Lady Bear Volleyball match. Activities that have been postponed are the football game and the 39th annual gala.

At 9:39 p.m., a gunman opened fire on the Baltimore campus injuring five people. Shortly thereafter, the campus was placed under a lockdown while SWAT searched dorms for a suspect. No arrests have been made.

According to CNN, hours after the Tuesday evening attack, police no longer believed it was an active shooter situation and they are still investigating, Baltimore Police Commissioner Richard Worley said in a news briefing.

@jayy_gambino wtf🤦🏽‍♂️#fyp #morganstateuniversity ♬ original sound - KapereLufotose

Students posted on TikTok about officers coming into dorms searching for the suspect. 

The victims were rushed to the hospital where they faced non life-threatening injuries, and four were Morgan students ages ranging from 18 to 22. 

Wilson said in a statement “Rest assured, our Morgan family is strong and we will march on with determination to keep moving on.”

Miracle Trice, (she/her) is from Portland but is an Atlanta-based journalist who covers all aspects of  entertainment and culture. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram: @miracletb_ .