Ohio Police Ignored Vandalism and Riot by White Students

04.22.21
Ohio Police Ignored Vandalism and Riot by White Students (Photo: Getty Images)

Despite COVID-19 restrictions, around 1,000 students at Ohio State University recently held a party where a crowd was seen flipping cars and throwing electric scooters in trees. No arrests were made in the gathering of majority white students. 

Students held the annual “ChittFest,” an event after Ohio State University’s spring football game. A Columbus police dispatcher said multiple units were called to the area, but no arrests were made, according to The Lantern, Ohio State University’s student newspaper. 

“Last night’s property destruction and willful disregard for safety just off campus is unacceptable. Ohio State will work with local law enforcement to identify and hold responsible any students who took part,” university spokesperson Ben Johnson said in a statement to The Columbus Dispatch.

Students took to Twitter to label the event a COVID-19 super-spreader and scolding students for not wearing masks.

Lizzie Duvic, a junior at Ohio State University, said her father called her to see if her car was alright after hearing about the party Saturday. 

“I walked out, and it was completely on its side and tipped over, and I was just in shock,” she said, according to MSN. “I was like, oh my gosh, I can’t believe that this happened to my car.”

Lauren Taras, a senior at Ohio State University, also found her car flipped over. Taras said police told her that they “have other things to worry about, and they’ll come down when it’s safe for them,” according to The Columbus Dispatch.

“There were no repercussions, no arrests made,” she said. “I need to find the people who did this,” Taras said, according to The Columbus Dispatch.