Scholastic Separates LGBTQ+ Books from its Collection

This is part of a wider nationwide book ban, but which mostly include books that say racism and slavery were a thing, and that LGBTQ+ people exist. Over two dozen states have started banning books.

10.19.23

ChicagoThe Scholastic Book Fair wants everyone to know it will follow anti-LGBTQ+ legislation.

In a press release, the organization stated that because of pending or already instituted laws banning the presence of LGBTQ+ and racism-acknowledging books in schools, they “create an almost impossible dilemma: back away from these titles or risk making teachers, librarians, and volunteers vulnerable to being fired, sued, or prosecuted.”

Since the fair comes to schools all across the country, they’ve decided to create a separate collection with these books, called “Share Every Story, Celebrate Every Voice.” Elementary schools would have to call them ahead of time to add it to their fair.

The statement concluded with, “We don’t pretend this solution is perfect – but the other option would be to not offer these books at all – which is not something we’d consider.”