Teens Views On Voting

11.04.22
Teens Views On Voting (Michael M. Santiago via Getty Images)

Ever since the founding fathers decided our country would be a democracy, the privilege to vote has been a priority for all citizens. The voting history started with wealthy white men over 21 who owned land could vote. 

Over the last 250 years, the United States has abolished laws that ban women and people of color. The Civil Rights Act was passed in 1964 to secure the right to vote for anyone who is a U.S. citizen regardless of religion, wealth status, race and education. 

Some high school students are planning to cast their vote for the first time. And the issues they are concerned about include abortion, gun control and inflation. 

Ruby Jackson

As a first-timer, Ruby Jackson said she had concerns about others pushing their agenda and beliefs on her.

“Many people in older generations have a tendency to try to project their views and thoughts onto me and my beliefs and try to push me into voting for someone that doesn’t speak to me as an individual,” she said.

One of the issues she is passionate about is abortion. 

“Abortion is a topic that is very close to my heart because no one should be able to tell a woman what she should do with her body and how she should feel when it comes to it,” Jackson said. “Many women and girls are fearing for their rights being taken away and that shouldn’t be something that anyone has to worry about.”

Eighteen-year-old Katrina Machetta said every voice and vote matters, and has been involved in volunteering for various elections, registering people to vote, calling voters, and informing citizens about the issues on the ballot. 

“As a first-time voter, this is a monumental step to making my voice heard politically in our society,” she said, adding she was inspired by election activity on her school campus.

“As a freshman at the University of Pennsylvania, I have noticed so many students being actively involved in local and national elections. I am inspired by the politically-active student groups at the school to continue volunteering and doing my part to help others become informed and engaged in the electoral process,” said Machetta.

Recent high school graduates aren’t the only ones who are thinking about the election. 

While underage, they feel it’s important to cast a vote and will be doing so in the future. 

Isabella Daniele

High school senior Isabella Daniele has attended several marches because she said change is desperately needed.

“I think it's really important for younger generations to vote because the world changes so quickly all the time. I think old people being the only ones to vote, then nothing is going to change with the world, so I think it's important because we can help to adjust laws, change things, and introduce this generation to the world,” she said. 

Sean Brown

The reason Sean Brown, 16, will vote when he turns 18 is because too many communities are being overlooked.

“I would just like to see a change that would actually help marginalized groups of people. Specifically with people of color because right now, currently, there is a lot of targeting towards not just people of color, but also the LGBTQ community,” Brown said.