Tenn. Youth Vaccine Outreach at Standstill

07.21.21
Tenn. Youth Vaccine Outreach at Standstill (Photo: Fabian Sommer/picture alliance via Getty Images)

DeKalb, ILThe Tennessee Dept. of Health is halting all adolescent vaccine outreach, including the COVID-19 vaccine as the state’s infection numbers continue to grow. 

The health department will stop all COVID-19 vaccine events on school property and will stop sending postcards and notices reminding teenagers to get their second dose of the coronavirus vaccine, according to the Tennessean

The move comes amid controversy in the state over parental consent for vaccinations and as COVID-19 cases in the state grow. The average number of new cases per day has more than doubled in the past two weeks – from 177 to 418. Only, 38% of Tennessee residents are fully vaccinated. 

Sarah Tanksley, Tennessee Dept. of Health spokesperson, said COVID-19 vaccination events at schools are ending due to low demand. She also said that the department always intended for the postcards to go to their parents and is taking new steps to ensure they were never sent to minors.

“Tennessee is on solid footing when it comes to childhood immunizations and will continue to keep information and programming in place for parents,” Tanksley said, according to the Tennessean. “We are simply mindful of how certain tactics could hurt that progress.”