Bethune-Cookman Women’s Golf Team Needs Roster Increase

10.02.21
Bethune-Cookman Women’s Golf Team Needs Roster Increase (Photo: Bethune-Cookman College's Women's Golf Team in 1998 | Montana Pritchard/PGA of America via Getty Images)

ChicagoA women's golf team at Bethune-Cookman University faces a season characterized by waiting and uncertainty as they are in need of more players.

After returning for a fall season, which comes on the heels of a year that left the historically Black college without men’s tennis and golf teams, the Wildcats women’s golf team is currently composed of three golfers. However, the team is in need of at least five, and when the team plays in tournaments, the top four scores are counted, according to HBCU Buzz.

Coach Dan Venema is waiting to see what recruitment opportunities could present themselves for the spring semester. 

“The right girls will come to this program,” said Venema. “When that happens, if I keep doing my job, as far as reaching out to as many student-athletes as I can, then they will come.”

Until more players are added to the team, the current golfers will play as individuals so they can get some experience under their belts. 

“Every score counts,” said team member Emma Hastie. “We are just going to play as individuals. This is going to be good to get our feet wet with this new conference (Southwestern Athletic Conference).”

For Kyleigh Leaf, the uncertainty regarding the future of the team is nerve-wracking, she said. 

“That’s just how it has been the past year or two, just the unknowing,” she said

The Wildcats will consider athletes from other sports if they need to fill spots for a starting five in the spring.