H.S. Football Coach Fired Amid Hazing Allegations

10.21.21
H.S. Football Coach Fired Amid Hazing Allegations (Photo: G Fiume/Getty Images)

ChicagoAn investigation into allegations of hazing on a high school football team in Maine led to the firing of a varsity coach.

The alleged hazing took place at a football team retreat at Thomas Point Beach in August, News Center Maine reported. An investigation report stated a player “was held down and a dildo [sex toy] was put in his mouth” at the retreat. 

In an Oct. 6 letter, Supt. Phil Potenziano of the Brunswick School district said coach Dan Cooper “is no longer affiliated with our athletic department.”

"After very careful deliberation, we have concluded that we cannot safely field a team and continue playing contests for the remaining three games of the season," said Potenziano.

The firing came after Cooper and assistant coach Greg Nadeau were placed on non-disciplinary leave as a result of the hazing allegations and the team’s homecoming game had been cancelled. On Oct. 1, Potenziano said some students had been removed from the team as well.

Brunswick Police Chief Scott Stewart said the department is also conducting an investigation.

Earlier this year, Plainfield Central High School football coaches and the school district were sued after two football players allegedly suffered hazing and sexual assault in locker rooms in 2019.

In 2015, the family of a high school football player, Jordan Preavy, who committed suicide following a hazing scandal, sued the Milton School District in Vermont, according to the Milton Independent.

A 2017 lawsuit filed against the Lake Zurich Community Unit School District 95 in Illinois alleged that high school football team members used sexual acts to haze teammates, according to the Lake Zurich Courier.