Can AI Be Controlled?

07.25.23
Can AI Be Controlled? (Andrew Caballero-Reynolds/AFP via Getty Images)

ChicagoPresident Joe Biden met with a bunch of leading tech companies to discuss regulations for AI here’s what you need to know.

On July 21, Meta, Google, Amazon, Microsoft, Anthropic, Inflection and OpenAI voluntarily agreed to safeguards on how artificial intelligence would progress. Biden stated, “We must be cleareyed and vigilant about the threats emerging from emerging technologies that can pose — don’t have to but can pose — to our democracy and our values … ”

This obviously comes in the wake of AI gradually getting better at generating music, text, pictures and videos. While some of the stuff people generate is undoubtedly funny, it’s also slightly eerie, because it only signifies the advancement of AI, and it’s getting harder to distinguish what’s real and what’s a machine.

However, this is purely voluntary for these AI companies, and there won’t be any government regulators enforcing any rules in preventing the tech from getting too dangerous. The companies that attended the meeting agreed to research privacy concerns, information sharing risks, developing tools to fight societal problems like global warming, measures to identify AI material and to start doing security testing.