The Gee Code: How Gen Z Can Score Big in Tech Sports Networking

05.28.24

From startup founders seeking funds, to young professionals navigating their early-career in the fast-paced world of tech and startups, networking is crucial. However, traditional networking events can feel stuffy and impersonal. For Zoomers, who value wellness, community, and authenticity – sports events offer a dynamic alternative.

Here are three athletic ways Gen Z can dive into tech sports networking.

Pickleball: The Fastest-Growing Sport in America

Pickleball is not just for retirees anymore. With its easy-to-learn rules and quick games, it’s attracting a younger, tech-savvy crowd. According to Forrester,19% of US Gen Z online adults and 15% of Millennials are already playing pickleball. Tech companies are catching on, organizing pickleball tournaments and leagues. These events provide a relaxed environment where you can meet industry peers, exchange ideas, and even brainstorm startup concepts. Whether you’re playing or cheering from the sidelines, pickleball is a fantastic way to make meaningful connections.

Run Clubs: Where Fitness Meets Professional Growth

Running is more popular than ever among Gen Z, with 60 percent of young adults citing it as their preferred exercise once a week. Run clubs are popping up in tech hubs across the country, offering a blend of fitness and networking. These clubs often organize weekly runs, charity events, and social gatherings. Joining a run club allows you to bond with fellow tech enthusiasts over shared goals and challenges, fostering a sense of camaraderie that extends beyond the track. Plus, discussing tech trends while running is a great way to keep conversations flowing naturally.

City Girl Golf: Breaking Barriers in a Traditional Sport

Golf has traditionally been seen as an exclusive sport, but initiatives like City Girl Golf are changing that. This community-driven organization aims to make golf accessible and enjoyable for women of all backgrounds, including those in tech. With golf events, workshops, and social outings, City Girl Golf provides a supportive space to learn the game and network with like-minded professionals. Golfing together can open doors to new opportunities and partnerships, making it an ideal sport for tech networking.

Keeping it gee, embracing these opportunities can lead to valuable connections, professional growth, and a healthier lifestyle. So, lace up your sneakers – your next big opportunity could be just a game away.

Miranda Perez (she/her/hers) is a Jersey City, NJ-based journalist who covers the tech industry. Follow her on X and Instagram: @mimithegee.