The Gee Code: Is VR Gen Z’s New Norm for Sports Consumption?

02.13.24

Jersey CityHow much would you pay to experience the Super Bowl from the sidelines? Most might say upwards of $10,000, considering the average ticket prices for Sunday night’s big game, but Gen Z however, seems to be less interested. 

Recent studies reveal that Gen Z is less interested in watching live sports than previous generations, which just might be the reason why Meta Quest dropped a XTADIUM app, in place to bring fans closer to their favorite sports in 180-degree virtual reality.

While fans cannot just yet tap into football, Meta’s XTADIUM allows viewers to tune into VR NBA games, Nascar races and UFC fights in real time.

Through the Meta VR headset, viewers can ultimately get “the best seat in the house” through switching live camera angles allowing them to interact with live sports in real time.

I recently stumbled across an Instagram couple using the Meta VR headsets to sit courtside at an NBA game for date night. The at-home set up was a vibe, full of basketball decorations and their favorite snacks. This, in my opinion, likely saved them some money and the trouble of leaving the house to get a cool experience together.

I cannot imagine personally turning down a courtside seat, in-real-life, photo opp for the gram — but for those who are not using the game as a fashion show, or a reason to flex — I can see the appeal.

This ultra-futuristic approach to sports viewing might save a lot of hassle for folks who have children that they cannot leave at home, or with sitters. It also might serve as a great help to those who are immunocompromised and have limited outside interactions.

As far as Gen Z’s interest goes, considering that 45% of the generation uses VR for gaming. I’m almost certain that a wide majority of Gen Zers would opt into VR viewing, just for the alternative flex of being high-tech in a world where many prefer to pull up in person.

Keeping it gee, VR viewing might just be the NFL’s and any other league’s key to maintaining Gen Z and Gen Alpha viewers as their media consumption habits are quite different from any other generation before them. 

Miranda Perez (she/her/hers) is a Jersey City, NJ-based journalist who covers the tech industry. Follow her on X and Instagram: @mimithegee.