The Gee Code: Are Colleges Investing in Digital Libraries?

09.03.24

Grambling State University recently made history by becoming the first HBCU and higher education institution in Louisiana to launch a digital library on campus.

The $16.6 million project, which began in 2017, offers students all the benefits of a traditional library while integrating high-tech features like 3-D printing labs, research centers, laser and etching machines, a Cricut maker, a soldering station, a hot wire cutter and plastic vending machines, among other cutting-edge tools.

The university envisions the digital library as a patent and trade resource center that will cater to the innovative spirit of the current generation, encouraging entrepreneurship and creative exploration on campus.

“Our students deserve these resources because they have the potential to change the world,” said Dean Adrienne Webber in a release. “At other institutions, students have developed products later purchased by major companies like Walmart. That can happen right here at Grambling State University because this library will equip students with the tools to make that possible,” Webber added.

This initiative represents a significant achievement for HBCUs, as Grambling sets a standard for other institutions to follow. It comes at a critical time when the desire to pursue a traditional college degree is declining. According to a recent study by Up and Up, Gen Z is less inclined to attend college than millennials were 20 years ago, opting instead for income-generating opportunities in fields like social media, gaming, and entrepreneurship.

In an era where digital transformation is vital, projects like this digital library help bridge the gap between traditional education and the demands of modern technological advancements. This positions HBCUs as key players in both academic and technological innovation, providing students with the skills they need to thrive in a rapidly changing world.

Keeping it gee, for generations like Gen Z and Gen Alpha, whose lives are deeply intertwined with technology and digital experiences, institutions that fail to evolve will miss out on a wealth of innovation. Grambling State’s digital library is a step forward in ensuring that HBCUs remain at the forefront of educational and technological progress.

Miranda Perez (she/her/hers) is a Jersey City, NJ-based journalist who covers the tech industry. Follow her on X and Instagram: @mimithegee.