The Gee Code: Who Are The Tech ‘Nepo Babies’ of Color? (Part 2)

03.07.23

Jersey CityIf you’ve spent any time thumb-scrolling across TikTok lately than you’ve likely come across the trending topic of #NepoBabies. This hashtag has gained 318.5 million views as the world cannot seem to get enough of figuring out what wealthy children use their parents’ power, money and influence to do. 

Previously, The Gee Code featured three famous children of color and their parents' ties in tech. This week we’ll take a look at three more. Afterall, someone has to combat the media’s general  lack of attention toward tech success stories within communities of color.

Let’s dive in. 

Destiny Jones, 18

Whose world is this?

If you caught the bar, you may have figured out that Destiny Jones’ father is none other than rap legend Nas. Beyond his rap career, Nas holds ties to the tech ecosystem as the founding partner of venture firm Queensbridge Partners. 

This alone would indicate that Destiny could have a promising career in venture capital, though she instead has gone down the founder route by building a cosmetics company: Matic. The emerging brand pulls inspiration from the family’s NYC roots.

The original point of this column was to highlight who may enter the world of tech, startups and venture capital. Destiny, as one of the older tech nepo babies in this series, has beat us to the punch. 

Blue Ivy, 11

The girl who has never seen a ceiling in her whole life. Word to Blue! 

It’s no secret that Blue is Beyonce and Jay Z’s first-born child. In her 11 years of life, Blue’s appearance’s on her parents’ music have broken world records. To date, she is the youngest person to have a song charted on any Billboard chart and the youngest individually credited Grammy Award winner.

While one career path for Blue may clearly be in music, she may just end up in tech and venture capital. 

Beyond their work entertainment, Beyonce and Jay-Z both operate in tech. Bey doubles as an angel investor and CEO of clothing line Ivy Park while Jay on the other hand co-founded VC firm Marcy Venture partners to invest in consumer and culture facing startups.

Kulture, 4 

Do it for the culture! Am I right?

Just like Blue, Kulture was born to two parents within the entertainment industry: rappers Cardi B and Offset. Having two rapper parents can make for an easy lead into the industry. 

But, thanks to Cardi B’s positioning as the owner of boozy whipped cream brand WhipShots and Playboy magazine’s first creative director in residence, Kulture has an added in to the world of tech and business. 

As a toddler she of course has ways to go before deciding a career route. Similarly her parents have more time within their careers to pursue opportunities in tech and venture capital if they see fit.

Keeping it gee, no matter where these “nepo babies” end up career-wise, I’m living for the fact that they have unlimited options and opportunities.