Louisiana HBCU Creates State’s First Gaming Lab

02.04.21
Louisiana HBCU Creates State’s First Gaming Lab (Photo: Southern University Laboratory School)

Southern University Laboratory School is breaking barriers for students interested in Esports with its new state-of-the-art Esports and Media Lab. The lab is the first of its kind in Louisiana.

The lab, which opened Jan. 28, features state-of-the-art equipment gaming keyboards, RIG gaming headsets, Vertagear gaming chairs, 65 inch smart TVs and more.

Christopher Turner, founder of Southern University Baton Rouge and Southern Lab esports programs, said the university is providing inclusive competition, where skill is the great equalizer. 

“This lab is not just for our competitive esports teams,” Turner said. “The new space will offer all students the best in science, technology, entertainment, math, and esports education.”

Photo: Southern University Laboratory School

The Esports program at Southern University initially opened in 2019 to all gamers on campus, both in competitive and non-competitive formats. 

The lab at the university has been a leader in the state in regard to esports education with one student winning the High School Esports League’s Spring Majors National Championship in 2020, along with a $1,000 scholarship.