Disney Channel Snagged Marsai Martin’s ‘Saturdays’

12.06.21
Disney Channel Snagged Marsai Martin’s ‘Saturdays’ (Photo: Axelle/Bauer-Griffin/FilmMagic via Getty Images)

Chicago“Saturdays,” a roller skating comedy produced by Black-ish actress Marsai Martin, is being picked up by Disney Channel as a series.

Production for the coming-of-age story, which was written and executive produced by Norman Vance Jr., is slated to begin in May, according to the Deadline. The news comes after the show, starring Omar Gooding, Golden Brooks, Jermaine Harris and Daria Johns, was ordered to pilot in March. 

Vance and Martin share the executive production credit with Nicole Dow and Joshua and Carol Martin. Charles Stone III served as the director of the pilot.

“We’re thrilled to be in business with Marsai, Norman, Nicole, Joshua, and Carol in bringing this adventure to our viewers,'' said Ayo Davis, president of Disney Branded Television. “We know that audiences will fall in love with Paris, her friends and her family as they share in the love, laughter  and music in this fun-filled world of roller skating.”

Martin became the youngest person ever to executive-produce a major studio feature film with “Little” in 2019. She founded Genius Productions with the Martins, aiming to create stories for television, features and digital.